Mrs. Dayo Keshi’s Speech at the 2018 FEAAN Exhibition
Being involved in this reading competition really helped me to study hard and it has gave me a picture of what I can achieve in the future- Rukiya (LEA Primary School Shetuko)
A lot of student stopped competing because of the pressure and tensions that is involved with the preparation of competitions, and in that case, few bend to the pressure and pull out while some who can withstand the pressure continue to push more.
Learning how to stay calm under pressure is probably one of the most important mental skills someone in a competition can have and is the hallmark of mental toughness. Far too many people do great while practicing only to fall apart in competition because they don’t know how to stay calm when it counts the most. Before we teach you how to prepare for competitions, let’s quickly look at the benefits of competitions.
Competitions play a role in motivating students to perform and excel and offer a lot more reward than just the winning prize. Competitions offer a chance for participants to gain substantial experience, showcase skills, analyze and evaluate outcomes and uncover personal aptitude. Competitions also encourage students to adopt innovative techniques and develop their ideas and skills.
How to prepare for competitions
1. Control your pre-competition routine mentally – Focus on positive thoughts, positive attitudes and positive outcome.
2. Concentrate on the process and not the outcome – Simply put, it means focus on the NOW, this will allow you to have a proper and effective preparation.
3. Keep your focus on you and your performance – Never compare yourself with others, always remember that everyone has strength that they brought to the competition and yours are unique and perfect
4. Positive talk – Remember that your mental game, remember the things you have accomplished and never get yourself down.
- Children Intervention
- Community Safe Water Project
- Culture Storybook Series
- Develop for Development Initiative
- Girl Tech Africa
- Illuminate Africa Youth Conference
- Illuminate Africa Youth Initiative
- Library Literacy Program
- Localizing the African Youth Charter
- Online Mentoring
- Repositioning Nigerian Youth Summit
- Water Sanitation & Health
- Youth Intervention
- Youth Mentoring
- Youth Mentoring Series